Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hope

Hope, British Columbia, Canada (credit: jeff_w_brooktree)

What is hope?

In their 1991 article in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Snyder and his colleagues defined hope as “a cognitive set that is based on a reciprocally–derived sense of successful agency (goal–directed determination) and pathways (planning to meet goals)”.

What?!

Pathways have to do with the plans that we believe we can make to reach our goal. Agency has to do with the person's belief regarding their ability to begin and continue moving towards their goal as planned.

So this is how I see it: I know and I can!

You do not have to agree that psychologists--or these particular psychologists--have "hope" all figured out. However, let us assume that their view is close to truth and apply it to a common situation:

I want to help the poor. Can I be hopeful about it?

plan: I can think of specific organizations that help the poor. I know the poor areas of the town and I know that giving money to the poor people there helps.

agency: I am able and willing to walk to the poor areas and make some donations, and I am capable of making enough money to continue making donations. I also feel confident that I can get involved with the organizations and be an effective member there.

Result: I am hopeful about being able to help the poor.

No comments: